Sixty rounds fired in Sushant Lok Phase 2 as alleged Deepak Nandal gang members opened fire on police, leaving three officers wounded

It happened fast, and it happened in one of Gurugram’s most upscale neighbourhoods. On Thursday night, what began as a tip-off about an armed group in an SUV ended in a shootout that left four alleged gangsters dead and three police personnel wounded.
The Tip-Off That Led Police to Sushant Lok
Around 9:30 PM, the Crime Branch received information about a suspicious Mahindra Scorpio carrying armed men, and multiple teams rushed to Sushant Lok Phase 2 to intercept it. By the time they arrived, the suspects had already opened fire at the residence of a local businessman, who had reportedly been receiving repeated extortion threats from a wanted gangster operating from abroad.
“When the teams reached the Sushant Lok area, the suspects had already opened fire with sophisticated weapons at the residence of a local businessman. Police said the businessman had been receiving extortion threats from a wanted gangster based abroad,” a police spokesperson told The Indian Express. Separately, the suspects had also allegedly attempted to extort money from the son of a Gurugram university official.
Sixty Rounds Fired as Suspects Try to Flee
Police teams set up a blockade and repeatedly asked the armed men to surrender. Instead, the suspects opened fire on the police party in an apparent bid to flee, and officers retaliated, resulting in around 60 rounds being exchanged. All five alleged shooters, said to belong to the foreign-based Deepak Nandal gang, sustained bullet injuries in the encounter.
They were rushed to a private super-specialty hospital, where doctors declared four of them dead. The fifth is currently undergoing treatment. Three Gurugram police personnel were also hit during the encounter and taken to hospital, where their condition is being monitored.
Investigation Now Underway
Teams from the Scene of Crime unit and the Forensic Science Laboratory have since carried out a scientific examination of the site and collected evidence. Police have recovered five foreign-made pistols from the scene, and say the identities and criminal backgrounds of the accused will be released later as the investigation proceeds.
